The Romanian Room's architecture is based upon an original intention to have a 17th century Byzantine chapel inform the appearance. The crash and Great Depression altered the plans and much of what is here is from the 1939 World's Fair Romanian Pavilion. The materials did not return to Romania in the war years and were instead made available to American groups wishing to use them.
Marble, iron work, icons and the Nora Steriade mosaic of Prince Constantine Brancoveanu were all used in different ways at the World's Fair. Here, they are assembled to give the impression of a chapel.