In 2001, the St. David’s Society of Pittsburgh Board of Directors approached the University of Pittsburgh’s Nationality Rooms Program about the prospect of creating a Welsh Nationality Classroom in the Cathedral of Learning. The Welsh Room Committee was established shortly after and decided upon an 18th century Non-Conformist chapel. Rural chapels, such as the Pen-rhiw Chapel in Cardiff, Wales (after which the Welsh Nationality Room is modeled) were centers of village social life, education and worship.
Construction began in November 2007 and was completed in April 2008. The Welsh Room was dedicated on June 1, 2008 – the least amount of time taken from conceptions to completion of any Nationality Classroom.
For more information on the history of the room and committee, please visit: Guide to the Welsh Nationality Room Committee Collection, 1931-2011 UA.40.24 | Documenting Pitt