In 1936, representatives of the Ukrainian community approached the University of Pittsburgh with their request to create a Ukrainian Nationality Room. However, University policy required each Nationality Room represent a nation recognized by the United States Department of State. In 1965, the University and the Nationality Rooms Program came under new direction and an inquiry was made as to establishing a Ukrainian Nationality Room.
On-site construction was begun in January 1990 and completed for dedication on June 17, 1990.
For more information on the history of the room and committee, please visit: Guide to the Ukrainian Nationality Room Committee Collection, 1973-2000 UA.40.23 | Documenting Pitt
Supports and preserves Ukrainian heritage and culture in Pittsburgh.