A meeting was held March 1932 at the University Club at which a temporary committee was elected to plan for the Lithuanian Room. In 1935, the president of the Lithuanian Colonists abroad, Mr. Rapolas Skipitis visited the University of Pittsburgh and upon his return to Kaunas, organized a special committee to concern itself with the welfare of the Lithuanian Room. Also, on April 9, 1935, a Deed of Gift was signed by the committee and presented to the Chancellor which pledged a space in the Cathedral of Learning for the Lithuanian Room. The Lithuanian Nationality Room Committee was able to design, fund, and construct their classroom in ten years. The Lithuanian Nationality Room Collection is composed of records documenting the planning, design, funding, construction, promotion, and maintenance of the Lithuanian Nationality Room.
The formal opening of the Lithuanian Room was held on October 4, 1940.
For more information on the history of the room and committee, please visit: Guide to the Lithuanian Nationality Room Committee Collection, 1885-2000 UA.40.15 | Documenting Pitt