On March 11, 1927, a group of Germans and German Americans in Pittsburgh appointed a small committee to plan and fundraise for the German Nationality Room in the Cathedral of Learning. For political reasons, the committee did not go abroad for funding or architectural advice and decided the German Nationality Room be designed in the style of the 18th century German renaissance and based on the great hall of the University of Heidelberg.
The German classroom was presented to the University July 8, 1938 and dedicated December 2, 1938. However, the stained-glass windows depicting traditional German fairy tales were not installed and dedicated until February 7, 1954.
For more information on the history of the room and committee, please visit: Guide to the German Nationality Room Committee Collection, 1927-1954 UA.40.09 | Documenting Pitt