In the spring of 1929, the Chancellor of the University of Pittsburgh and a few members of the Alliance Français met to discuss the idea of a French classroom in the Cathedral of Learning. The undertaking languished until 1932 when the first committee was formed. Pocket donations and income from events were the first benefits received to fund the project. In 1936, the French committee was reorganized and plans for the French room were approved. Between 1938-1940, work was conducted on the room.
On January 23, 1943, the key to the French Classroom in the Cathedral of Learning was presented to the Chancellor of the University and the classroom was open for daily use by faculty and students.
For more information on the history of the room and committee, please visit: Guide to the French Nationality Room Committee Collection, 1927-1956 UA.40.8 | Documenting Pitt